In any kind of business, the activities for achieving success are first analyzed, planned, implemented and then put in the form of ‘words.’ Some of these activities you can find in the form of reports, memos, email, letters or any other documents which can tell you about the business. These documents can be best defined as the hard copy or soft copy trail records of the results, activities or proposals of business or official communication. From the title, top 10 tips for business writing, you can make out as to what are the easy guidelines to become a successful business writer.
A business writing document can be used to convey important information, either internally or externally, and it may be either a situation or conduct of the business. It is mandatory that any form of business writing is done in concise and clear manner. If not, there can be detrimental results because of miscommunication. Properly chosen words, written in a organized format, can enhance effective business communication and produce desired results.
However, business writing is not easy, but at the same time, not impossible. It is advisable to do one bit at a time. You have to first research about the subject, analyze, understand the points and then conquer. In case of business writing, you need to consider several steps:
- Research on the subject
- Organize the content
- Drafting the content
- Review & Revision of the content
The steps given above make the impossible task into possible steps. You can proceed one at a time, and then you can start writing the documents.
Success Tips For Business Writing
- To prepare, first, you should have clarity on the subject. If you are unable to understand the document which you have written, then seldom will others who read the lines can visualize content in the words. Too many ‘jargon’ or ‘technical’ words might put someone on the wrong side and you might be asked to rewrite.
- You can begin by using small, declarative sentences. Do not tend to prove yourself intelligent by putting a longer one where a short one can be replaced. “Ruthless” is the word which you have to use while self-editing.
- Also, remember that your superior will have many tasks on hand, and he/she might ask you to change the sentence. In that case, with patience make them understand why you have added the sentence in the required format. Do not change the sentence if you are sure you are right.
In E-mails: Tips For Business Writing
- It is an e-mail but it is a document. So be careful about what you say and how you frame the sentences. The words have to be simple and to the point, as an e-mail is a representative of your organization. Keeping in mind, whether you have typed all the points specified to you can give the clients a clear picture. Use the passive voice in sentences instead of the other (active voice) such as “Sam initiated the PRINCE2 meeting” etc.
- Have a cautious ‘eye’ for grammatical mistakes when you are e-mailing to prospective clients, senior executives and colleagues. You might be stuck with work, but when it comes to sharing a new idea and that too in the form of e-mail, it needs to be perfect. It is a vital skill that everybody can and needs to improve.
- You should also decide on the reaction your audience will have after reading the email. If the points are simply added to the e-mail, then chances are that the writing will be an incomplete structure and the words might be repetitive. In these cases, step back and collect your thoughts.
- Have the points in proper order. Simply said, do not go around and round in circles. There are styles which might be different from what you studied in college. The important point has to be in the first paragraph. The experts of business writing have clearly specified – If you are postponing the points to the middle of the letter, then, there will be wastage of time of the reader. In memos or any proposals, the words should not be more than 150, and they should be short and crisp.
- Business writing is a skill which you can improve by practice every day, but consistency is the key. You should be the best editor for yourself. If you want to be a distinguished business writer, you should divide your time properly between writing and self-editing.
- If you are a science graduate who has done Research, similar to case studies, you would have built content at the beginning and in the end the important points. Unfortunately, that does not work with business writing.
- In case you are finding it difficult, it is advisable that you request for help and refer all previous documents of your seniors and adapt to their style as well as format.